I’ve been been painting for almost 32 years now. I’ve had the experience of being introduced to applying what some companies are selling as ‘lifetime coatings’. Some may believe the potential for a paint job to last a lifetime is questionable.
And many fly-by-night companies are all too eager to sell you what they say is a lifetime coating. They go by many different names, most of them are mostly hype.
However, when such well known and quality paint manufacturers offer a lifetime guarantee on their top-of-the-line products, you have to believe that they are certain that they’ve manufactured a product that will last and that they will stand behind for an extraordinarily long time!
Benjamin Moore Co. offers products that I have used and agree are some of the best paints ever made. Advances in chemistry and technology have obviously increased the performance of many of these products, but for our purposes here we will concentrate on 100% Acrylic Exterior Paint that we all benefit from when painting the exterior of our homes. I use Benjamin Moore and their Moor-Guard line and Aura line when my customers want the written, lifetime warranty.
The truth is…How many of us are going to be in a single home for a ‘lifetime’! But it’s good to know that the best paint out there is going to last for a long time!
Here is the procedure that is recommended for getting the most out of your exterior paint job:
1. First of all you need a very clean surface to paint.
Pressure Cleaning is the obvious place to start on your exterior. Clean dirt, loose paint & chalking. Sometimes it is prudent to use a cleansing solution i.e. some oxygen bleach and/or chlorine(bleach). This can usually be applied with the bleaching tip on your pressure cleaner. The bigger the machine, the better (and quicker!)and should be followed by scraping for really bad surfaces.
2. Then we caulk & patch where needed. This preparation is usually the first thing seen when it’s not done correctly.
3. After you have let everything dry well, then one of the most important steps needed is a clear – penetrating conditioner/ sealer. These products are often recommended as masonry products. But the right sealer will help with most, if not all surfaces including aluminum, vinyl & wood in addition to but not in leiu of other primers needed for a particular surface.
4. Only now are we ready to apply the first finish coat or topcoat. Of course it is imperative to know that using cheap products here still will only achieve a cheap paint job and you could be painting 3-5 years later because the paint itself, and not the application of the material has failed! After correct drying time a second coat is also crucial to making sure this paint job will last.
The warranty doesn’t cover:
- When we did not supply the paint or other materials.
- Any work which was not performed by the us.
- Any surfaces or any surface that, by virtue of its design permits moisture to collect.
- Exactly paint matching as environmental conditions will affect the color and finish of all paints over time.
- Repairs which are needed because of a defect in the paint.
- Present copy of the original contract.
- Peeling, blistering or chipping where they are caused by:
- extraordinary wear and tear
- misuse of surfaces that are painted
- peeling of layers of paint existing prior to the work performed.
- structural defects
If you’re looking for a Professional House Painter or Professional House Painting Contractor in the Port Orange or Daytona Beach FL area, look no further. Licensed and Insured: Florida State, LLC # L07000061421 Contact Jeffrey Whitmer by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (386) 214-5329